Trimaran

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Name:
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona, United States

Sunday, December 04, 2005

False impressions

I look at my trimaran in progress and compare it to the pictures I see on other websites about building sailboats. Most of them are about buying a kit and then assembling the precut pieces.
Many are about building a sailing dinghy, kayack, or canoe. Not many are about the process of building anything as large as this 24 foot trimaran. Many that are, seem as though they have unlimited funds, and large facilities. I have none of this. I have very limited funds. I have no facilities. I have no experience with fiberglass, boat mechanics, nautical architecture, or engineering. As a matter of fact, I have no experience with sailing. Most of what I am doing, I am doing on blind faith based upon what limited information I have found on the internet or in books from the library. I find myself with many questions; such as , how many layers of resin? how many layers of cloth? How smooth is the hull supposed to be? Is what I'm doing good enough?
Then I think back to an experience I had when I was in Australia. We were at Airlie Beach in Queensland. One day, as we were sightseeing in town, we came across the Airlie Beach Yacht Club on the point. There, I came across three different trailerable trimarans on their trailers. They were all in the renge of twenty to twenty five feet. I was able to visualize the things I was trying to incorporate into my boat.
Around the corner on a rocky section of the shore, there was a forty foot trimaran on shore up on blocks. The port side Ama loked as if it had been torn off and someone had tried or was trying to put it back on. There was evidence on the hull that there had been a very large hole in the side. We talked to the owner who was there working on the boat at the time.
He old us that as it was anchored in the harbor, two harbor police sea doos were horsing around and one of them lost control and crashed into his trimaran and put a hole in the hull and destroyed the port aft beam. He said that he was having a difficult time getting them to pay for the damage. But he was trying to repair the damage. I could see where he had replaced pieces of plywood and then covered it with gobs of fiberglass. It looked extremely rough and course.
In my estimation, it didn't come close to the rest of the boat. But yet, the rest of the boat looked as if it was rough and course. No where close to the slick smooth surface on factory production boats. If his work is sufficient, then my work will be too. I get from that experience that as long as I do the best I can, i will be more than good enough.
Also, when I read about vacuum bagging and vacuum infusion methods, I realize that even though I don't have the expertise, the facilities, nor the funds to do these things, they result in only single thicknesses. So if I put on two or three layers on the top and sides, and at least four layers under the waterline, it will be sufficient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home