Trimaran

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Name:
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona, United States

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

In the beginning . . .



I am in the process of building a trimaran sailboat. I have tried to find information on the web about what I am trying to do and either it is because I'm not very astute with the internet or there is not a lot of easily accessable information. So, I'm going to try to create a log of my progress. I'll also try to add pictures and links to stuff I've found.
So, . . . here goes.
Last year, I saw an ad in the want ads section of the newspaper for a trimaran sailboat project for sale. The guy wanted $100.00. So I called. He was in Tempe, not too far from me (in south Scottsdale) so I took my girlfriend and we went to look at it. He had it parked in his garage. Well sort of. The garage had no back wall and the trailer and hull stuck out the back.
It was just two side hulls called Amas and a center hull or at least the lower section of the hull. It had a mast and boom and one sail.
Apparently, someone had taken a trimaran that had a solid deck all the way across all three hulls and had tried to make it trailerable. They had cut the thing off at the deck line, removed all the fiberglass and taken off everything above. Then they had covered the top of the Amas with plywood and had fiberglassed one of them. Then this guy had bought it with the intention of finishing it. It sat in his garage for 8 years. I paid him the money and I became a proud owner of a trailer full of plywood. I figured that the trailer was worth that much at least. He gave me a couple of sailing books, and one sheet of a plan for a trimaran similar to this and claimed that he had a box full of parts that I could have, but he would have to dig them out of his storage room and I could come back in a week or so. When I went back, he wasn't there, so I left my phone number with his wife and asked her to have him call me when I could come back. He never has called.
I hooked on to the trailer and brought it home. These pictures are of it sitting at home in my carport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home